Thursday, July 19, 2007

Tsunami

So, on the way to the shore, my cousin's wife, Monica took a wrong turn and we ended up about 20 minutes off coarse. So, we backtracked and took the scenic route through all the little shore towns. Its a quaint ride, going over little drawbridges, looking at the million dollar houses. I was pointed out all kinds of stuff to Madison. I then made a fatal error in judgement. While going over one of the drawbridges I pointed out the ocean on the right and the bay on the left. I explained to her that if there was a Tsunami all of the little towns would be washed away because its so flat. Why did I do this you say? I have no good answer for that. She has asked alot of questions in the past about tsunami's so I guess it just popped out of my stupid mouth. Well.......at 12:30 am that night, the adults were sitting out on the deck, having some beers, laughing and telling stories. All of a sudden the door to Pat and Rick's house opens and I see Madison and her 14 year old cousin Alexis scurring across the walkway and into the house. Madison apparently woke up frightened and couldn't go back to sleep. So, took her back and put her to bed with her cousin, but she was still scared. So I offered to sleep in the other bed in the room with her. BIG MISTAKE.....it was a twin bed. But she was scared and what was I supposed to do. I had the worst night sleep and my back was severly twisted the next day. When we were walking to the beach I asked her what made her so scared the night before......she said that she woke up and was scared that a tsunami was going to come and drown all of us in our sleep! See what I get! ...................................that afternoon as I hobbled home from the beach in pain, I heard her and her cousin Kohler describing how cool it would be if a tsunami DID come to NJ (when they weren't there) so that the beach was in Philly. That way it would only be a 30 minute ride to the beach. I told Madison if she woke up that night she was on her own!

No comments: