Thursday, October 11, 2007

Clown hair

So, last week was my brother's rehersal dinner for his upcoming wedding. I have been wearing my hair pretty long for the last couple of months in anticipation of the wedding. I wanted to grow it out and have them put it up in a pretty up-do for the wedding. So, since I hate long hair, I've been keeping my frizzy, curly hair up in a ponytail since July. I look lame pretty much everyday. The alternative is a head full of super frizzy curly hair. But, faced with going to a restuarant for dinner, I had to actually style my hair. So, I let it dry curly. Now, I admit, my hair is pretty wild when its curly, but it still looks pretty cute. I looked in the mirror before I left my car, and was satisfied with the results.

I walked into the restaurant and greeted my family members and my future sister-in-laws family members. That's when the following occurred.....(it was one of MY family members that said this)......"whats wrong with your hair?" I was shocked and asked him what he meant......and he replied...."it looks funny.....like clown hair"! Can you imagine my pain and confusion. I mean, I LIKED my hair when I walked in. I mumbled something about wanting to grow out my hair, then quickly ran to the bathroom. I expected to see that my hair had taken a bad turn during the 40 feet from my car to the restaurant but I was stunned to see that in MY eyes, there was nothing wrong with my hair. I guess that's the problem.....maybe I'm in denial about my clown hair. But let me ask you this.......why is it that older people feel that they can say ANYTHING without reprisal? They just shoot out any words that come to their minds. I mean, I have lots to say about stuff, but common decency prevents me from saying it......but what happens when you fly past the age of 60? Is there some sort delay button in our brains that quits working and people just say exactly what they are thinking at the time?

2 comments:

Lola said...

There's this lady at work we call The Clown... Her hair really looks like a clown wig. Bright red, crazy curly perm, all sticking out afro-style from her head... Her hair used to be different, and she came in like this one day and we thought maybe it was a mistake. But she's kept the style up for months now! I don't know what hairdresser would want someone leaving their shop looking like that... But whatever the story behind this hairdo, I'm sure yours was nothing like it!

Amy said...

No, my hair did not look like clown hair. It was very curly though. My brother had it right last week.....people seem to just think they can say anything they want to me! I guess I can take it well!