Monday, October 1, 2007

Sauerkraut

Now, I'm not sure if I spelled that right, but you all know what it is right? If not, find a Polish friend to help you out. Sauerkraut is a wonderful veggie that is usually served with pork. Its got a very unique (sour) taste. But, I grew up on it and love it! The best part is.......its 0 points. In Weight Watchers world this is wonderful. I've lost 13 pounds to date with another weigh in tomorrow, so needless to say, I'm doing pretty well if I say so myself. But last week, I almost fell off my chair at dinner thanks to my father.

In the morning we go over the specifics for dinner that night. On that particular day he told me that he was make a pork roast with sauerkraut. I told him I would cook my own lean pork chops if he would save me some sauerkraut. He said sure! When I came home that afternoon, I sauted my porkchop then put it in a roastin pan with some sauerkraut. Now, I asked my dad how he prepared it because I could tell that it wasn't just right out of the can. He said "ALL I used Amy, is garlic, onion and caraway seeds, that's it.....nothing else". I confirmed with him that was ALL he put in it and he said yes. So, I took a bunch of sauerkraut, covered my porkchop, and roasted it.

At dinner, I was famished, and the sauerkraut was WONDERFUL. I couldn't get enough of it. I was soooo excited because here was a 0 point food that I loved and could eat lots of! About halfway through my second helping of this delicious food, I asked my dad........"how did you prepare this exactly, because its sooooo good"? He was very excited to report........."Well, first I started with some bacon fat!". Thats as far as he got............at that moment, I wanted just scream and shout. But, I was raised better than that. He went on for several minutes as I tried to formulate what to say but my mom could see something brewing in my eyes. She spoke up and said "whats wrong with bacon fat, there's nothing wrong with it". Now of course there's nothing wrong with bacon fat, it keeps the pig warm in the winter. But it also CREATES people fat! But my mom, who by the way eats whatever she wants and weighs only 95 pounds, can't understand what could possible be wrong with cooking sauerkraut with bacon fat and then not telling her dieting daughter while she eats 3 pounds of it!

The point here is.............if something tastes too good to be true, then it usually is.

No comments: