Monday, September 10, 2007

Bridal shower stuff

My brother is getting married in couple of weeks, so this past weekend was the bridal shower for his fiance. Madison and I have the pleasure of being in the wedding, and so far it has been pretty calm. No bridezilla stuff. In fact, I love my new sister-in-law to death. She picked out flattering dresses of a pretty color. She is really laid back and worrying more if everyone else is going to be happy. She's not your typical bride.

So, after weeks of planning, the bridesmaids were able to pull off a surprise shower.......despite the fact that I was filling out the bridal shower invites while she was on the couch next to me.

It was a beautiful shower, lots of good food and nice guests. She got LOTS of new stuff. I was appropriately jealous.....a little mix of envy (for the new stuff) but happy for the new bride. As many of you know....I am in no mood to be married again. And since I was married already, nobody turns to me and asks...."when's your turn". So, I avoid the pity looks from the old people.

But, as is my life, the day could not go without some sort of drama. I have to start by telling your that all my clothes continue to be in storage. I have 3 pairs of shorts, a jean skirt and a couple of shirts that I wash and recycle. So, last week I went out and bought a new outfit and shoes. I bought a black skirt, black and cream top, and some black strappy heels. I pre-viewed the outfit for Madison last week and she told me that the top was an "old lady top". I replied that when you are as fat as I am, there isn't much of a selection. So, after that I previewed the outfit for my mom. So......she knew exactly what I was going to wear to the shower.

So, imagine my surprise on Saturday morning, when she came downstairs wearing an outfit so similar that you had to squint to notice the difference. She was wearing black PANTS, a black and cream top with a very similar design, and black strappy shoes. I was shell-shocked! Now, I'm no fashionista, but I know enough, that if you are arriving together from the same house, that different outfits are in order. Plus, my mother has more clothes than Queen Elizabeth in her closet. Also, my mom is 5'10 and about 109 pounds. She isn't the heavy set, 36 year old woman in old lady clothes. She actually looked really nice. Even my brother, who wouldn't normally notice such things, noticed it right away.

So, this being MY mom, I didn't say anything, and just pouted all the way to the shower. Then over the course of the 4 hours, whenever I would stand near her, people would comment, "don't you two look cute, you're matching". I wanted to shout "this isn't a Laura Ashley catalog and I'm not 7 years old!". But, of course, simple decorum and manners prevented me from actually saying that. After about 3 hours of the comments though, I finally spoke up and said "well, I did show her my outfit last week, so she knew what I was wearing". I thought this would get a good laugh. But, my mom looked horrified, and all her friends were aghast. One of them said...."you both look cute". So, I slinked off into the corner. When another person mentioned it again later, my mom said "DON'T GET HER STARTED" and stomped off. I'll tell you what....if I hadn't started back on weight watchers last week, I would have had a few very stiff drinks.

1 comment:

Lola said...

Ugh, how annoying! My mother, grandmother, and I often end up doing this, too. We live in seperate places now, though. (When I was growing up, we were all in the same house.)

I'm still working on your list of local restaurants to try!

http://lolablog.lolageek.com