Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Showers

I was thinking yesterday......when did bridal and baby showers get so out of control? I've been invited to and attended several showers in the last couple of years and they seem to get bigger and bigger. Now, lets just say for the record that I love each of these new mommies and brides and wish them every happiness. But what I'm saying is that they are out of control. Some examples follow, names and likenesses are changed to protect the innocence.

One of the brides I know had 4 bridal showers. Now who needs four showers? She had a standard bridal shower, a lingerie shower, a tool shower for her husband, and a kitchen shower. Then she had a baby a couple of years later and had several baby showers. One at home, one at work, and one at the gym. Another women I know had 4 kids......she had a shower for at least three of them. The last baby shower was held at restaurant for her "close friends". She and her husband showed up, opened presents and were treated to a fine lunch. I never saw any of those presents again. One of her friends bought the whole crib layette, but the couple never put the crib together. I never did see the $300 stroller we bought her.....I think she returned it. But, what I couldn't understand was why she had to have a shower to begin with....she already had 2 kids under 6 years old. One of my other friends had a baby shower for 65 people at a very nice restuarant. I was very civilzed and controlled. She received EVERYTHING on her registry. She spent 3 1/2 hours opening presents while I felt like my head was going to explode. Oh, I forgot to tell you that we were required to bring a onsie for the baby that we decorated ourselves. If you have ever bought onsies you know that they only come in packages of 3 or more. She actually had a basket on the table for the extras incase you wanted bring them. (she mentioned something about donating them to charity....) I thought that was a bit much considering the $6,000 worth of merchandise sitting in front of her. But who am I to judge?

Now I am going to sound like an old person here....but when I was growing up, bridal showers were for kitchen stuff and baby showers for little onsies and blankets. You sat around eating sandwiches and having iced tea in someones house on a Saturday. But, today, these things are big events, often at a hall or restaurant. The bride or new mommie goes to several stores to pick out things that we are expected to buy her. No longer is it enough to buy her a blender or blanket.......noooooooo......if you bring a gift under $50 your lucky to get a thank you card. I ask you.....I ask you, when did it become our responsibility to buy everything for these lucky ladies? What happened to going out and buying it yourself? Baby showers bring $300 strollers, 600 count cotton sheets, designer baby bags. Bridal showers bring $200 coffee pots, waffle makers, bread makers, and deviled egg plates.

Then there are the extras. At bridal showers we have a wishing well (for whatever the bride wants us to put in there), Christmas ornament trees, recipe books,lingerie corner, etc. These of course are all on top of the expensive Williams and Sonoma pasta maker you just bought her. As if she will use the pasta maker. I have yet to know a bride who uses her "makers" on a regular basis, or ever eats on her fine china.

At baby showers there is a diaper tree, bottle box, binky bag, book well, wishing well (for trinkets and stuff). This, like the bridal shower is on top of the $75 Baby Bijorn you just bought her. The one you see Brad Pitt using but rarely see your friends using. The one good thing about baby showers is that you at least know that the baby will probably be using the $5000 worth of merchandise spent on it a the shower. Although, I don't know if a diaper wipe warmer is actually something that is needed. But of course this is all my opinion.

Then, when the day actually arrives for the shower the bride or mommie shows up and pretends like she didn't know this day was coming. Like she hadn't planned it out in her head for months. But, now a days, most of the lucky ladies plan their own showers right along side of the the person actually paying for the shower. Everything is coordinated right down to the menu and colors. Then there are the games............I won't even get into that today.

The thing is......you are probably saying I'm jealous....damn right I am. I didn't get a bridal shower......in all fairness there wasn't really a wedding. And my baby shower was very small...back in the day when people didn't expect all their friends and families to outfit the whole baby. When my M was born 9 years ago, you were happy with what you received. One of the best presents I received was a blanket made by my late Aunt. Then whatever I didn't get I bought myself or borrowed. But then again.....who am I to judge right?

The bottom line is.....I know your all with me on this one. As much as you can't admit it out loud......you're with me.

No comments: