Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Confessions of an overeater!

So, as I mentioned in a previous blog, I started weight watchers last week and so far so good. I got weighed in this am and lost 6 pounds, so I only have 80 more to go. I am feeling good about it. But as you all know, losing weight is a difficult thing. We all have to figure out what went wrong to begin with. For me, its just plain over eating. I will eat all day if you let me. Sometimes, I have a mouth full of food and don't know why. That's why weight watchers is good for me.

But, with any diet you have to make major lifestyle changes. My biggest challenge right now seems to be my dad trying to sabotage my efforts. Now, again...............I love my parents.

I don't know if any of you have tried weight watchers.....I have and love it. As some of you know I lost about 60 pounds a couple of years ago on it. The problem is....I've gained it back plus some. And its because someone like me NEEDS to be on it all the time. I am an over eater. So, you go to the meetings, weigh in, talk, etc. You don't have to by any food from weight watchers. That's the good thing about it. You just go home with your points calculator and figure out all your points values.

So, for me, the over eater, I need to have LOTS of low fat snacks handy for when I need them. So, I gather that I have probably spent close to $200 in the last week on tasty low fat items. And its working.....I've lost 6 pounds in my first week!!!! But, my dad looks at these low fat items with the same disgust I have for his expired foods. So, I bought the foods, loaded up the fridge, and put my dry snacks in the basement. But, every time my dad opens the fridge he grumbles about all my "shit" and "crap" in there. When I bring a new find home (which in weight watcher world is HUGE) he grumbles about it. I can' t always hear what he's saying but its not in a friendly tone let me tell you that.

My parents have a huge freezer in the basement that could easily hold 2 bodies in it. So, instead of being rude and clogging up their kitchen freezer with my stuff, I put it down in the basement in a bag off to the side so all my stuff would be in one place. Well, the day after I did that, I went down to get something, and when I opened the door, imagine my surprise that all my foods were out of the bag (bag actually gone) and scattered all over the freezer. Not only that, some of the boxes were bent and crushed. I don't know exactly what happened in that freezer but it looked bad.

Then, when he mentioned that my brother would be coming for dinner on Tuesday night with his fiance (who by the way is the daughter they never had) I asked if I could cook dinner. My only reason for this was so I could keep it low fat and healthy. I figured I could make a tasty Spaghetti Bolegnese for dinner using ground turkey. He was pretty thrown off by this turn of events and a little annoyed. I now know (thanks to my brother) that, he plans these dinners for Prince Nick, long in advance, and this is my dads time to shine, because as you know, no matter how bad the food may be, Prince and his Princess eat it without complaint (or as in my case, they don't push the food around on the plate). I didn't mean any harm by this, I was very kind and polite when I asked him.

He asked me "where are you going to get the meat?" I replied "at Giant". (a VERY good, reasonable supermarket here) Well, that's when he went into a little tirade......."I'll buy the meat at Aldi's....there's nothing wrong with the meat there". Now, you all know how I feel about Aldi's. A couple of weeks ago he served Turkey breast that was black in color from there. It wasn't burnt, just black! So, I just slinked off quietly.

As it turned out, I'm not able to cook after all. Madison has soccer so I won't be there. But, he showed me the $2 ground turkey. Now, again, I had two options, to keep quiet or mention the fact that it had 350 calories and 17 grams of fat per serving. Being a trouble-maker I did the latter. See, I can't eat that on a daily basis....I get 33 points a day.....a cup of pasta is 5 points. A serving of that turkey would be 7 points! For 7 points I might as well eat regular ground beef. But of course my parents don't know this, or really care. My mom is a twig, and my dad is a diabetic that puts Splenda in his coffee but eats 2 sandwiches for lunch. I calmly explained the above, and said "its ok, I'll just pick up some leaner meat from the market for next time". That's when my mom said, why don't you just eat less of the fat laden meat. Now that is a great idea if you not an overeater. With the leaner meat I can eat twice as much and not even lose that much taste when I'm done cooking it. In the end they both made me feel bad for wanting to eat healthy and not have a heart attack at age 36. The one thing I loved about moving home was that I could be fat and not have anyone look at me like I was the devil. But, ironically the minute I moved home, I wanted to lose weight.....go figure!

Its no wonder that I'm an over eater!

1 comment:

Lola said...

Oh gosh ... I know it's hard when you're trying to lose weight and nobody around you really cares. I'm sure, like you said in an earlier post, things will be much better for you when you can get into your own house...

http://lolablog.lolageek.com