Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Phillies game

I was invited to go to a Phillies game last week. My cousin had four tickets and after scraping the bottom of the family barrel, asked me if I wanted to go. (actually I volunteered myself) I don't really follow baseball all that much, as many of you know, football is my game. But, I was eager to go. I remember fondly growing up and once a summer going to a Phillies game. My memories are of Vetern's Stadium. "The Vet", was a HUGE round stadium that was home field for baseball and football. My dad would buy tickets once a summer for our 4-some and we would also go to another game with all my cousins. We never had good seats. Always the 700 level seats....wayyyyyyyy up at the top of the stadium. We would dehydrate, get burnt, but always have a great time. We never were allowed to buy anything as the food was "too expensive". One year, my cousin worked at a local news stadium, and we actually got a tour of the locker room, dug-out, etc. The Vet was a terrible stadium, but I have many fond memories of summer's there.

Now, the new field is called Citizen's Park! Its a pretty new stadium, that is just for baseball....and boy is it beautiful! I went to the game with my dad, uncle, and cousin. My cousin was 2 hours late picking us up for the game so we missed the first pitch....in fact, we missed the whole first innning....but lucky for us, the first inning lasted 45 minutes. It was College night at the ballpark, otherwise known as "dollar dog night". Thats right folks....the hot dogs were $1. So, apparently, this is the night that all the local college kids come out to the ball park. It was a preey roudy crowd let me tell you.....rowdy for a baseball game that is. But we had tons of fun....and the money we saved on hotdogs went to beer and soda.

The thing I noticed about Phillies games vs Dodgers or Angels games is the difference in crowds. The folks all around us were so nice and talkative! That would never happen at a Dodger game. At a game in LA, you take your seat, nod politely to the people around you and never say a word to them. But, here in the city of "brotherly love", the people around you actually talk to you! Not only do they talk, by the end of the game, you know everything about them. It was amazing! Now, I'm not saying that in LA the people aren't as nice. I'm sure all of you have experiences where you went to a game and the same thing happened, but I'm telling you, this was different. By the time the guy next to me left, I knew all about his kids in college, where he lives, what he does for a living, his shoe size! This was definately something new and exciting.

By the way ladies....I never realized how cute some of the baseball players really are!

No comments: